Monday, December 26, 2016

Women's March On Washington


On January 21, 2017, the day after Donald Trump is inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States, my sister-in-law, Cindy, and I will join many other like-minded citizens in a march on our nation's capitol. Why am I marching? I am moved to march because I want to voice concern that women's and human rights not be set back to the dark ages.

I have no confidence after hearing language during the presidential campaign and seeing who President-Elect Trump is selecting for key Cabinet positions now that the rights of everone but white men will not be significantly reduced or eliminated. I hope I am proven wrong. I realize we have yet to see what transpires in a Trump Presidency, but from what I have seen to date, raising our minority voices is absolutely essential to make sure we are not ignored.

Only large gatherings seem to draw attention, and this gathering of strong voices all over our country at this crucial time will be important. We are using our rights of free speech, and I pray we will be heard in the White House and the Capitol. President-Elect Trump has promised BIG changes. Really big.

I just hope he delivers what the electorate who got him into the White House wanted. I also hope that what he delivers will benefit those less fortunate than him and his. America is already great. Let's see what he meant when he begins his term by making it "great again". Let's hope that the needs of the one don't outweigh the needs of the many when push comes to shove.

No comments:

Post a Comment